Monday 4 October 2010

So

Switzerland was fab, so fab I went back to Geneva for a long weekend over my birthday:)  I had a chest infection at the end of August and coughed until I got to Geneva: that's how clean the air is.  Everything about the country is amazing: the mountains, the people, the scenery, the watches, the chocolate:)    Unfortunately the chocolate was too nice and I did nothing but eat it.  Weight is all back and on and more.

The chest infection has left my breathing not quite right - I know because I swim so much and I can't swim as far without having to breathe.  I went back to my GP who thinks I may have slight asthma.  Unfortunately she had to weigh me to work out what my peak flow should be:(  I'm seriously obese - 15 stone.  My peak flow should be about 465, it's 350.  So I'm back to the asthma nurse on Wednesday for further tests.  Then we had a chat about my weight.  I did say that I'd been trying to lose it with weightwatchers but my heart hasn't been in it.  And I'm starting a personal trainer on Wednesday.  She said I could take in a food diary to her if I wanted to but I don't know.  I may leave it for a bit.  At the same time I wonder if it would be nice to just discuss it with someone.  WW doesn't really allow for that. 

Unfortunately because of my weight, next time I get my bloods done she wants me to have a diabetes check, cholestorel and thyroid:(  I don't want to know my cholesterol levels.  I'm thinking I may forget the next time at the end of October and maybe do it at the end of November...  then this afternoon I got a phone call from the receptionist saying that next time I get my bloods done I have to get my B12 levels done too - no idea why: it must be something to do with the methotrextate but there's not overly much information on the internet. 

Today I've gone cold turkey on the chocolate and sweets.  I'm hoping to manage it for a week.  Hopefully WW on Thursday night.  Weekends are always bad.  I want to lose weight so much.  My GP is right, it will be better for my joints, my health, my peak flow, my heart, my self-esteem and my confidence.  It may even help my depression which is rearing its ugly head right now.  I can't get thoughts of razor blades and cutting myself out of my head. 

2 comments:

Truffle said...

My understanding is this, but as I'm just a medical student please don't take this as read. Methotrexate affects how your body metabolises folate, which is essential for B12 in your body. If you're deficient in B12 then it can cause the same type of anaemia as if you're folate deficient. It's a routine test for people on methotrexate.

alhi said...

Thank you for that - I should have really asked the receptionist to ask my GP why, but I figured if it needed done more urgently than the end of October, my GP would have contacted me! Can you still be B12 deficient if your hb levels are normal?