Wednesday 13 October 2010

First session

OMG that was tough.  I was sweating before I even started out of nerves alone!  And then the stretches(!) really killed me.  Which is strange because I was actually very flexible (surprisingly).  So flexible that I couldn't fell any strecth in my hamstrings no matter what he had me do (before the hip went bad on me I could put my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees).  The worst one were the abdominal crunch type things: I have no stomach muscles.  The rest of my muscles keep me upright.  Once the strecthes were done it was on to the treadmill.  Have I ever said how much I hate the treadmill?  Well I do.  Half an hour on that at an average speed of 6km/h and an incline.  I surprised myself on that actually: at one point I did say that I didn't think I could go on but I think he pushed another 15 mins out of me to make it 30 mins in total.  I did think at one point that I was going to be sick as I went really cold (with the sweat pouring off me!).  When I finally got off the torture machine I was weak and staggering, but I managed to walk to work, which was probably the best thing as it meant I didn't go home and collapse and potentially stiffen up.  I made into the pool for 20 lengths after the session, but I normally do 60 if I've been in the gym (or rather my idea of being in the gym!) so that showed how hard I'd been worked. 

Unfortunately, I went to the gym with no food for afters so I went into Tesco and bought a sandwich (not bad) and maltesers for tonight and the TV. Argh.  Next session is on Friday and I will be prepared with some healthy snack upon finishing. 

I weigh 15 stone and he wants me to lose 3lb by this time next week, so encouraging words please! 

Tomorrow is my heavy teaching day and my office hours and I've a shed load of stuff to do, so here's hoping I don't wake up as stiff as a board. 

There's a measles outbreak where I live and now I'm petrified after chickenpox in the summer that I'll catch it!  Must check on t'interweb and see what methotrexate does to it.

3 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

You're just angling for an honourary bendy status aren't you Alhi?!
I think it's great what you're doing, hard and hellish though much of it may be you've done the hardest part, which is making that decision you want things to be different. I'm so proud of you! And hey, at least the view will be nice while you sweat!
BG Xx

alhi said...

Actually, a podiatrist did wonder if my joint problems were related to my flexibility. Apparently my feet are weirdly flexible as well. I'm not double jointed or anything just flexible!

View very nice while I sweat and yes, the initial phone call was the worst part. That and hearing my GP say I need to lose weight. Next goal is to keep a food diary and take her up on her offer to go through it with me. I've ditched WW for the moment to see how this goes and also because I was just fed up with it.

BenefitScroungingScum said...

You're doing great, so proud of you! And er...hate to say it but you know being weirdly flexible and double jointed mean pretty much the same thing?
It might be worth having a read through of the information on www.hypermobility.org cos all those bendy red flags appear to be present in you ;)
BG Xx