Monday 9 March 2009

Med students

I talked to the medical students this afternoon. It was excellent, I really enjoyed it and felt more alive than I have done in ages. They examined me as well and fortunately (for them) I have a swollen knee which they were able to look at and feel.
The afternoon did make me realise though that I don't really enjoy my job and that I'm masquerading as a lawyer. I regret so much not doing medicine and wish desperately that I could do it now. My GP even said to me that she thinks I should have some sort of medical related career. So, I left the surgery and went online and have signed up for an Open University course in Molecules, medicine and drugs! I just have to post the registration form (for some reason they wouldn't let me sign up online) and I will do that tomorrow morning. I'm not sure it will do much in the long run but I'm hoping it will help me in the short term.
On other news, I'm back to University city after my week at home: I did relax much more at home and felt a little bit better about things but now that I'm back it's all just the same, exacerbated by the great time I had this afternoon.
I cut myself last night, know idea why or what made me do it but I did. God knows what I'll do tonight.

3 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Glad to hear it went well with the med students, I keep meaning to set up similar...or even some sort of training company to provide that type of medical education, fancy giving it a go?
Tonight you'll watch Eastenders along with me at 8pm and laugh at their miserable lives. It's allowed cos it's fiction. Never fails to cheer me up ;) Hugs BG x

alhi said...

Sounds like a great idea but it would be very difficult to work what with needing patients (who are willing to discuss their histories) and trained docs! Still, from both our experiences, there is a definite need to educate young medics in conditions such as yours and in helping them realise that arthritis isn't just an old person's affliction in my case.
Am off the bed.

madsadgirl said...

I'm so glad that your session with the medical students went well and that you enjoyed it. I'm sure that you will enjoy the OU course if you do decide to go ahead with it. And I am so sad to hear that you felt that you had to harm yourself last night. Email me if you want a 'chat'.