Tuesday 29 July 2008

Coffee

I met one of my soon-to-be colleagues for a coffee this morning: she also interviewed me for my job (starting 1 September). She was giving me some insider information on the law school, nothing I didn't know already but good to hear that what I thought was true. I had to see the occupational health doctor before I start and I saw him last week, a complete idiot if ever there was one! He really does not have a clue. I got lectures on the difference between full and part time, lectures on why my laptop really slowed down when I used voice recognition software and what I should do when I have a flare up of the arthritic condition. Completely condescending towards me. The best of it is that I have never heard a good word from anyone about him!
Anyway I'm to speak to my line manager about an office with lift access (um, there is no lift in the law school!), voice recognition software and sitting if necessary during lectures. Also going to make sure I have a proper chair, with armrests and a super light laptop so I can work at home and also carry it with me if I head off to research elsewhere: after all no point in giving me a laptop that weighs a ton!

No comments: